Probate Department Basis of Charging
1. Probate – Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
We anticipate this will take between 5 and 50 hours work at £260 per hour for Mark Francis (Partner Rate), £250 per hour for Jane Sullivan (Senior Solicitor Rate) and £210 per hour for Laura Hotten (Solicitor Rate). Total costs are estimated at: £1,300 – £13,000 + VAT for Mark Francis; £1,250 – £12,500 + VAT for Jane Sullivan; £1,050 – £10,500 + VAT for Laura Hotten.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
• There is a valid will
• There is no more than one property
• There are no more than 5 bank or building society accounts
• There are no other intangible assets
• There are no more than 5 beneficiaries
• There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
• There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
• There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. These are payable in addition to our costs.
Disbursements may include:
• Probate application fee of £155
• £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
• Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
• £69.75 Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
• £75 Post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Potential additional costs
• If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
• If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually).
• Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3-9 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 4-7 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-4 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-4 weeks.
2. Probate – Applying for the grant alone
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf if you are able to supply us with the date of death values of the assets and liabilities and other information we will need. This does not include collecting in and distributing the assets.
How much does this service cost?
TOTAL: fixed fee of £1,307
This includes: obtaining the grant alone.
Breakdown of costs:
Legal fees £950
VAT on legal fees £190
Disbursements (£167 in total):
• Probate court fee of £160 (including 10 official copies).
• £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor).
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
• Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
• Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
• Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
• Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
• Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms (not a full IHT400 which is required in larger or more complex estates)
• Draft a legal oath for you to swear
• Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
• Obtain the Probate and securely send 10 official copies to you
Typically, from the time that you instruct us to obtaining the grant of probate is 3-5 weeks.