Mark qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and joined Tolhurst Fisher in 1998. He became a Partner in 2000 overseeing the expansion of the Private Client Department to become one of the leading centres of expertise in Essex.
With lengthy experience in large estate planning, asset protection, complex wills, high-value probate work and lasting powers of attorney, Mark has a diverse client base that includes individuals, executors, trustees and charities. His advice is always to the point allied with excellent technical skills. Client relationships are handled with great care as you would expect from an expert who has honed his advice giving in thousands of face to face meetings in the last twenty years.
– Succession planning and capital taxation
– Lasting Powers of Attorney
– Court of Protection
– Charity formation
– Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
1. Advising the Executors of a multi-faceted £15 million estate on the use of a flexible life interest trust to mitigate Inheritance Tax backed by 7 year life assurance. Successfully arguing a number of points with HMRC and the local District Valuer. Managing an Inheritance Act claim and potentially litigious beneficiary and seeing the Estate through to a successful distribution and conclusion.
2. Creation of mirror trusts to mitigate the potential effect of Inheritance Tax for a family whilst retaining control for the original property owners and protecting the assets from third party claims thereby providing a source of wealth for future generations of the family. Liaising closely with family accountants to ensure that Capital Gains Tax hold over relief could be claimed.
3. Drafting wills for a couple with children from different relationships who had concerns about Care Home fees, foreign assets, dis-inheritance of their own children and provision had to be made for their own elderly parents. A combination of bespoke wills, drafted to their own needs, severance of the joint tenancy of their family home, trusts and powers of attorney addressed their various issues in a coherent plan.
T: 01702 352511